Seattle’s JuneBaby Named Best New Restaurant at Beard Awards


This year, most went to chefs with relatively new restaurants: Jeremiah Langhorne of the Dabney in Washington D.C., Nina Compton of Compère Lapin in New Orleans, Dominique Crenn of Atelier Crenn in San Francisco, Missy Robbins of Lilia in Brooklyn, and Gavin Kaysen of Spoon and Stable in Minneapolis.

Longer-serving chefs include Karen Akunowicz of Myers & Chang in Boston; Abraham Conlon, who improvises new American food with the Chinese-Portuguese-Indian flavors of the island of Macau at Fat Rice in Chicago; Alex Seidel, who runs a farm and creamery alongside his restaurant Mercantile in Denver; and Rodney Scott, of Rodney Scott’s BBQ in Charleston, S.C., long famous for his wood-smoked whole-hog barbecue.

Two standard-setters in California won national awards for hospitality: Zuni Café in San Francisco for Outstanding Service, and Caroline Styne, who runs Lucques, A.O.C., and other Los Angeles-area restaurants with the chef Suzanne Goin, for Outstanding Restaurateur.

The movement away from elaborate meals and European cuisine continued, as high-end destinations like Spiaggia, the Restaurant at Meadowood, Le Pigeon, Quince and Boka were shut out. (Atelier Crenn is a notable exception.)

Photo

Dolester Miles, who has been making desserts for Highlands Bar & Grill since 1982, was named Outstanding Pastry Chef.

Credit
Cary Norton

This year’s roster of winners reflects the forces pushing the industry away from its history of honoring mostly white, male chefs. In this year’s culinary categories (excluding service, design, wine and so forth), 11 of 15 awards went to chefs who are women, or people of color, or both.

In the last year, several journalistic investigations revealed that male chefs and restaurateurs, including Beard award winners, had engaged in chronic sexual harassment of female employees and colleagues.

The foundation has not revoked the awards bestowed on Mario Batali (Outstanding Restaurateur in 2008 and Outstanding Chef in 2005), Ken Friedman (Outstanding Restaurateur in 2016), and John Besh (Best Chef in the Southeast in 2006). However, this year’s judges, about 600 people including past winners, were instructed to “bear in mind that award winners are held up as role models. If you have concerns about a chef, restaurateur or beverage professional, or about the culture around a restaurant or restaurant group, leave the person or business out of your nominations.”

The chef José Andrés was named 2018 Humanitarian of The Year for his on-the-ground work feeding the people of Puerto Rico after the devastation of Hurricane Maria.

Established in 1990, the awards also include book and journalism citations that were presented in New York on April 27. A full list of winners is on the James Beard Foundation’s website.

Follow NYT Food on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest. Get regular updates from NYT Cooking, with recipe suggestions, cooking tips and shopping advice.

Continue reading the main story

Celebrating Long Shots and Outcasts


Photo

 “I’m just figuring we don’t have a chance,” Rory Kennedy said.Credit Danny Moloshok/Reuters

Updated, 5:39 p.m. | WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. — Rory Kennedy was fully expecting not to go home with the Oscar for best documentary feature on Sunday, yet nonetheless she was in high spirits Friday, at a sun-dappled lunch in the courtyard of the famous, and infamous, Chateau Marmont hotel.

“I’m a documentary filmmaker,” she said to the several dozen attendees, “This” – she waved to the white-linen-draped tables topped with carefully wrought small bouquets – “is not something we’re used to.”

Ms. Kennedy’s “Last Days in Vietnam” tells the wrenching tale of the hundreds of Vietnamese promised sanctuary then abandoned by Americans as Saigon fell: the last helicopters left the roof of the American Embassy without them.

Distributed by American Experience Films/PBS, it’s a very long shot for the documentary Oscar – “I’m just figuring we don’t have a chance,” Ms. Kennedy said merrily – and didn’t have bank that backed other campaigns, like that of “Citizenfour,” distributed by Radius, a unit of the Weinstein Company. Indeed, during luncheon chitchat, Ms. Kennedy seemed more concerned with the seven feet of snow paralyzing Boston. She did add, wryly, that during the Oscar ceremony, she would probably be the one wanting to be helicoptered away.

The luncheon, held by Dom Perignon, drew a grab bag of guests: Julian Sands, Cheryl Hines, Nicky Hilton, Peter Fonda, Maria Shriver, Minnie Driver and Andre Balazs, the hotelier behind the Chateau Marmont. The Bagger was seated by “American Experience’s” executive producer Mark Samels, who was among the many Northeasterners happy to be in town and escaping the frigidity home.

The Bagger shared another point of solidarity with him: he hadn’t been invited to Vanity Fair’s ballyhooed Oscar afterparty either. Viva los outcasts!

Correction: Feb. 21, 2015
An earlier version of this post misstated Andre Balazs’s role in the luncheon. He was a guest, not the host. The host was Dom Perignon.

Caught Up in a Killing Spree, and Facing Charges


At least five others were also charged in the sweeping investigation.

Three of Mr. Tsarnaev’s college classmates came to the attention of federal officials and eventually spent time in prison: Dias Kadyrbayev and Azamat Tazhayakov, who hindered the government’s investigation by removing evidence from Mr. Tsarnaev’s dormitory room, and Robel Phillipos, who was convicted of lying to the F.B.I.

Another man, Stephen Silva, pleaded guilty to drug and weapons charges; although he had no direct connection to the bombing, he had previously lent Mr. Tsarnaev a handgun, its serial number filed off, that was used by the Tsarnaevs to kill a Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer.

Khairullozhon Matanov, a friend of Tamerlan Tsarnaev, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev’s older brother and accomplice in the marathon attack, admitted to deceiving investigators about his ties to the brothers and was ordered to prison.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev’s widow, Katherine Russell, was also the subject of investigation and widespread speculation in the news media, but the authorities never brought a case against her.

Charleston, S.C.

Photo

Joseph C. Meek Jr. was accused of lying to investigators and withholding information about the Charleston attack.

Credit
APTN, via Associated Press

Dylann S. Roof, the white supremacist who killed nine black churchgoers in Charleston, S.C., in June 2015, was captured the day after his rampage. About three months later, federal agents arrested one of Mr. Roof’s friends and accused him of lying to investigators and withholding information about the planned attack.

The friend, Joseph C. Meek Jr., ultimately pleaded guilty and described how Mr. Roof had told him of his preparations for the attack, including trips to Charleston to scout out the church and his plans to carry ammunition in a fanny pack.

Mr. Meek, who was never called to testify at Mr. Roof’s trial, was sentenced to 27 months in prison. He is expected to be released in September, according to the federal Bureau of Prisons.

Mr. Roof, convicted by a federal jury in December 2016, was sentenced to death.

Las Vegas

Photo

Stephen Paddock’s girlfriend, Marilou Danley, was questioned after the Las Vegas attack, but was not charged.

Credit
Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department

Despite some fears that Stephen Paddock, who opened fire in October on the Las Vegas Strip, had help from a second gunman, law enforcement officials now believe that he acted alone when he killed 58 people and wounded hundreds of others.

The investigation, though, led to the arrest of an ammunition dealer, who was accused of manufacturing armor-piercing bullets without having a proper license. The dealer, Douglas Haig, acknowledged meeting Mr. Paddock and selling him ammunition, but has said he “had no contribution to what Paddock did.”

“I had no way to see into his mind,” he said. “The product that I sold him had absolutely nothing to do with what he did. I’m a vendor. I’m a merchant whose name was released.”

Mr. Paddock’s girlfriend, Marilou Danley, who was questioned extensively after the attack, will not be charged, the authorities said in January.

San Bernardino, Calif.

Photo

Enrique Marquez Jr. was accused of being the buyer of guns used in the San Bernardino rampage.

A married couple’s terrorist attack in San Bernardino, Calif., in December 2015 led to a series of prosecutions, including one against a man who bought two assault rifles that were used in the rampage.

Enrique Marquez Jr. pleaded guilty in February 2017 to providing material support and resources to terrorists for his role in plotting attacks with Syed Rizwan Farook. The men never carried out their planned assaults, which targeted Riverside City College and freeway commuters, but Mr. Farook used Mr. Marquez as a “straw purchaser” to buy weapons that were later used in San Bernardino. Mr. Marquez, who faces up to 25 years in prison, has not yet been sentenced.

The federal government also secured guilty pleas — for conspiracy to commit immigration fraud — from Mr. Farook’s brother and sister-in-law. Mr. Marquez’s wife pleaded guilty to conspiracy, perjury and false statements charges that were brought when investigators discovered what they described as a sham marriage to Mr. Marquez.

Mr. Farook and his wife, Tashfeen Malik, were killed in a gun battle with the police after a pursuit.

No charges

Many investigations do not lead to charges. After a man killed 10 people at a community college in rural Oregon in 2015, for example, the authorities found that he acted alone and did not prosecute anyone. And officials in Texas have not brought any charges linked to November’s attack on a church in Sutherland Springs, in which 26 people were killed.

Continue reading the main story